Moon Drive & Hike Appalachian Trail: The Best Trail Towns, Day Hikes, and Road Trips Along the Way (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
- Make your escape on shorter trips from major cities or drive the entire three-week route from Georgia to Maine
- Find your hike along the Appalachian Trail with detailed trail descriptions, mileage, difficulty ratings, and tips for picking the right section of the trail for you
- Discover adventures off the trail: Immerse yourself in the spirit of colorful trail towns, peep the changing leaves in the Berkshires, and cruise the sun-dappled Skyline Drive. Kick back after a day hike at a microbrewery in Asheville, dig in to southern barbecue (hey, you've earned it), or unwind in the coffee shops and art galleries of a hip New England hamlet
- Take it from avid hiker Timothy Malcolm, who shares his insight on the best views, waterfalls, mountains, and (of course!) breweries
- Full-color photos, strategic itineraries, easy-to-use maps and site-to-site driving times
- Get the lowdown on when and where to get gas, how to avoid traffic, and braving different road and weather conditions, plus tips for LGBTQ travelers, seniors, and road-trippers with kids
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
These days, Timothy lives in Houston, working as the dining editor for Houstonia magazine. When he's not eating his way through Space City, he's enjoying a cold beer, watching baseball, and looking for every opportunity to get out and stretch his legs. You might have also read his work in Backpacker, October, Paste, The Hardball Times, Chronogram, Hudson Valley Magazine, and Orange Magazine.
“The books are more easily readable than other guides. The main attractions are also marked with a special icon and sidebars and boxes highlight special information, making the Moon handbooks one of the most user-friendly guides in terms of visual appeal and organization…the quality is uniformly excellent."—Transitions Abroad
"Far from narrow minded, each Moon travel guide gives itinerary options for a variety of travelers’ budgets—from frugal to lavish. They make books catering to those who love the outdoors, those who have limited time, those staying exclusively in cities and those who’ve fully committed to living abroad. In all, they have hundreds of titles, ranging Bermuda to Budapest, that’ll teach you to embrace a new culture."
—Gear Patrol, “The Best Travel Guidebooks for Every Journey”
"Moon handbooks have become known as well-written and exceptionally informative guides."—The New York Times
"Moon guides are perfect for the relaxed road tripper or outdoor explorer."—No Small Plan
"Moon handbooks are known for cannily combining logistical information with cultural background of a country or state."—Los Angeles Times